KHVL Sports

KHVL Sports

Sports Report- 3/31

THE NCAA DIVISION-ONE COUNCIL VOTED MONDAY TO GRANT AN EXTRA YEAR OF ELIGIBILITY TO ALL STUDENT-ATHLETES IN SPRING SPORTS WHOSE SEASONS WERE CANCELED BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC.  THE NCAA’S DECISION WILL EXTEND THE ELIGIBILITY OF ALL SPRING-SPORT STUDENT-ATHLETES — NOT JUST SENIORS WHOSE CAREERS WOULD HAVE ENDED AFTER THE CANCELLATION OF THEIR SEASONS — AND WILL ALLOW SCHOOLS TO EXPAND THEIR ROSTERS BEYOND CURRENT SCHOLARSHIP LIMITS TO ACCOUNT FOR INCOMING RECRUITS AND SENIORS WHO WERE EXPECTED TO LEAVE.  THE NCAA WILL LEAVE IT UP TO EACH SCHOOL TO DECIDE WHETHER TO GRANT SENIORS IN SPRING SPORTS LESS OR EQUAL FINANCIAL AID NEXT YEAR, COMPARED TO WHAT THEY RECEIVED THIS YEAR.

LEFT TACKLE LAREMY TUNSIL AND THE HOUSTON TEXANS HAVE STARTED TALKING ABOUT A MULTIYEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION, WITH THE TWO SIDES EXCHANGING PRELIMINARY PROPOSALS.  TUNSIL IS EXPECTED TO BECOME THE HIGHEST-PAID LEFT TACKLE IN THE NFL.

THE COUNTDOWN CLOCKS HAVE BEEN RESET AND ARE TICKING AGAIN FOR THE TOKYO OLYMPICS.  THE NEW START DATE ANNOUNCED YESTERDAY: JULY 23RD, 2021.

Sports Report- 3/30

THE RAPID SPREAD OF THE CORONAVIRUS HAS CAUSED CANCELLATIONS AND POSTPONEMENTS OF SPORTING EVENTS AND AFFECTING SPORTS AROUND THE GLOBE. ONE OF THE BIGGEST DEVELOPMENTS IS THAT JAPAN AND THE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE HAVE DECIDED TO POSTPONE THE 2020 SUMMER GAMES IN TOKYO UNTIL NEXT YEAR.

IN OTHER COVID-19- SPORTS RELATED NEWS, NEW YORK KNICKS OWNER JAMES DOLAN TESTED POSITIVE FOR THE RESPIRATORY DISEASE, WHILE CELTICS’ GUARD MARCUS SMART, UTAH JAZZ ALL-STARS RUDY GOBERT AND DONOVAN MITCHELL HAVE BOTH BEEN CLEARED AFTER RECOVERING FROM COVID-19 INFECTIONS.

THE INDIANAPOLIS 500 HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL AUG. 23 DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS. THIS MARKS THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1946 THAT THE INDIANAPOLIS 500 WON’T TAKE PLACE ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND.

THE WNBA HAS ANNOUNCED THAT THE LEAGUE STILL PLANS TO HOLD THE WNBA DRAFT ON APRIL 17 AS PREVIOUSLY SCHEDULED. HOWEVER, IT WILL BE A VIRTUAL DRAFT FORMAT.

LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL ANNOUNCED THAT THEY ARE RECOMMENDING THAT LEAGUES SUSPEND ALL LEAGUE ACTIVITIES “UNTIL NO EARLIER THAN” MAY 11th.

THE NHL IS INVESTIGATING THE POSSIBILITY OF PLAYING GAMES IN JULY, AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER AS THE LEAGUE LOOKS AT POTENTIAL TIME FRAMES TO RESTART THE 2019-20 SEASON.

Sports Report- 3/27

THE SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE OFFICE ANNOUNCED THURSDAY THAT ALL TEAM ACTIVITIES, ORGANIZED OR VOLUNTARY, HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY AS THE COUNTRY CONTINUES TO DEAL WITH THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC.  IN ADDITION TO ALL ORGANIZED TEAM ACTIVITIES FOR THE CURRENT IN-SEASON SPRING SPORTS, SAM HOUSTON STATE HAS CANCELED THE REMAINDER OF SPRING FOOTBALL PRACTICE AND THE ANNUAL SPRING GAME.  SHSU ATHLETIC DIRECTOR, BOBBY WILLIAMS SAID, “THEIR SAFETY IS OF THE UPMOST IMPORTANCE, SO WE WILL TAKE EVERY PRECAUTION NECESSARY TO LIMIT THEIR EXPOSURE TO THE CORONAVIRUS. THINGS ARE CONSTANTLY CHANGING IN THESE CHALLENGING TIMES, AND WE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE SITUATION AND ACT ACCORDINGLY.”  MORE INFORMATION AT WWW.GOBEARKATS.COM.

NFL COMMISSIONER ROGER GOODELL ANNOUNCED IN A LEAGUE-WIDE MEMO YESTERDAY, THAT THE NFL DRAFT WILL GO ON AS SCHEDULED, BEGINNING APRIL 23RD.  GOODELL ACKNOWLEDGED THERE WOULD HAVE TO BE SIGNIFICANT CHANGES AND TOLD TEAMS TO PREPARE TO CONDUCT THE DRAFT OUTSIDE TEAM FACILITIES AND WITH A LIMITED NUMBER OF PEOPLE.  PROSPECTS AND THEIR FAMILIES WILL NOT BE PRESENT ON-SITE AT THE DRAFT.

JIMMY WYNN, THE DIMINUTIVE HOUSTON ASTROS SLUGGER WHOSE MONSTER SHOTS IN THE 1960S AND ’70S EARNED HIM THE POPULAR NICKNAME “THE TOY CANNON,” HAS DIED.  THE THREE-TIME ALL-STAR OUTFIELDER, DIED THURSDAY IN HOUSTON AT 78.

FRED “CURLY” NEAL, THE FACE OF THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS FOR 22 YEARS, DIED THURSDAY MORNING IN HOUSTON AT THE AGE OF 77.  NEAL PLAYED IN MORE THAN 6,000 GAMES IN 97 COUNTRIES FOR THE BARNSTORMING GLOBETROTTERS FROM 1963 TO 1985, WHEN THE TEAM APPEARED IN NUMEROUS TELEVISED SPECIALS, TALK SHOWS, TELEVISION SHOWS AND EVEN CARTOONS THAT INCLUDED THE TEAM’S OWN ANIMATED SERIES.

Sports Report- 3/26

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL COMMISSIONER ROB MANFRED SAID IN AN INTERVIEW YESTERDAY THAT “NOTHING’S OFF THE TABLE” AS THE SPORT OUTLINES ITS PLAN TO RETURN FROM A CORONAVIRUS-RELATED POSTPONEMENT.  MANFRED SAID, “LOOK, MY OPTIMISTIC OUTLOOK IS THAT AT SOME POINT IN MAY, WE’LL BE GEARING BACK UP,” HE ADDED. “WE’LL HAVE TO MAKE A DETERMINATION, DEPENDING WHAT THE PRECISE DATE IS, AS TO HOW MUCH OF A PREPARATION PERIOD WE NEED, WHETHER THAT PREPARATION PERIOD IS GOING TO BE DONE IN THE CLUBS’ HOME CITIES OR BACK IN FLORIDA AND ARIZONA. AGAIN, I THINK THE GOAL WOULD BE TO GET AS MANY REGULAR-SEASON GAMES AS POSSIBLE AND THINK CREATIVELY ABOUT HOW WE CAN ACCOMPLISH THAT GOAL.”

DALLAS MAVERICKS OWNER MARK CUBAN SAYS, BASED ON PEOPLE HE HAS TALKED TO AT THE CDC, HE’S HOPEFUL THE NBA MAY BE ABLE TO GET BACK TO WORK SOON.  CUBAN SAID, “HOPEFULLY BY THE MIDDLE OF MAY WE’RE STARTING TO GET BACK TO NORMAL AND THE NBA IS PLAYING GAMES, MAYBE NOT WITH FANS [IN ATTENDANCE], BUT WE’RE PLAYING GAMES.”

THE DALLAS COWBOYS HAVE RESUMED CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS WITH DAK PRESCOTT FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE TEAM USED THE EXCLUSIVE FRANCHISE TAG ON HIM EARLIER THIS MONTH.  PRESCOTT IS THE FIRST QUARTERBACK IN COWBOYS HISTORY TO HAVE THE FRANCHISE TAG APPLIED TO HIM.  WITH THE EXCLUSIVE FRANCHISE TAG, THE COWBOYS HAVE UNTIL JULY 15TH TO WORK OUT A LONG-TERM DEAL. IF NO DEAL IS REACHED, PRESCOTT WILL HAVE TO PLAY THE 2020 SEASON ON THE TAG, AND THE SIDES CAN GO THROUGH THE SAME DANCE NEXT OFFSEASON.  AN “EXCLUSIVE” FRANCHISE PLAYER IS NOT FREE TO SIGN WITH ANOTHER CLUB.

Sports Report- 3/25

THE NFL PLANS TO STICK WITH ITS ORIGINAL APRIL 23RD SCHEDULE FOR THIS YEAR’S DRAFT DESPITE A RECOMMENDATION FROM THE LEAGUE’S GENERAL MANAGER SUBCOMMITTEE THAT IT BE MOVED BACK DUE TO THE COVID-19.

IN OTHER N-F-L NEWS, THE CAROLINA PANTHERS RELEASED QUARTERBACK CAM NEWTON YESTERDAY, THE TEAM’S NO. 1 OVERALL SELECTION IN THE 2011 DRAFT.  HIS RELEASE ENDS THE TEAM’S NINE-YEAR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE 2015 NFL MVP.  A WEEK AGO, THE PANTHERS ANNOUNCED THAT THEY HAD GIVEN HIM PERMISSION TO SEEK A TRADE, BUT THE TEAM COULD NOT FIND ANY SUITORS.

JAPAN PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE AND INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE PRESIDENT THOMAS BACH AGREED TO POSTPONE THE TOKYO 2020 OLYMPICS BY ABOUT ONE YEAR.  PRESSURE FROM NATIONS AND ATHLETES ALIKE MOUNTED IN RECENT DAYS, AND MOST RECENTLY, CANADA SAID IT WOULD NOT SEND REPRESENTATIVES TO THE OLYMPICS WITHOUT A DELAY. AUSTRALIA LATER JOINED IN THAT DECISION.  THE IOC AND TOKYO ORGANIZERS SAID THEY HOPE THE DECISION TO POSTPONE WILL HELP THE WORLD HEAL FROM THE PANDEMIC.

THE LEADERS AGREED THAT THE OLYMPIC GAMES IN TOKYO COULD STAND AS A BEACON OF HOPE TO THE WORLD DURING THESE TROUBLED TIMES AND THAT THE OLYMPIC FLAME COULD BECOME THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE COVID-19 TUNNEL.

KHVL on Facebook

KHVL on Twitter